Your Welfare Rights — September 2019 Update
Since we published our booklets in the series Your Welfare Rights — How to Apply for Welfare, Welfare Benefits, and When You’re on Welfare — the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction (the ministry) made changes to some welfare rules and announced plans to make more changes in 2019.
Our online fact sheet Your Welfare Rights — September 2019 Update will give you general information about the changes.
The fact sheet describes the ministry’s changes now in effect, including to:
· support rates
· the work search period
· how to qualify for Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers (PPMB) benefits
· asset limits for income assistance and PPMB benefits
· the asset exemption for vehicles
· the moving supplement
· room and board rates if you live with a family member
· how to apply for nutritional supplements
· the identification (ID) supplement
The fact sheet also lists changes the ministry plans to make by the end of 2019, but that might not be in effect until early 2020. Coming changes include to the two-year financial independence test and the definition of spouse.
Your Welfare Rights — September 2019 Update has information about where to find welfare updates on the ministry website and who can help if you have a welfare issue.