Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC: Children cared for by grandparents in BC

The Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website relaunch features five videos sharing experiences of overcoming complicated legal issues with the help of Legal Aid BC. One of these videos is Doris’s story about taking her grandchild into care.

Aboriginal grandparents play an important role in extended family rights in BC. If you're unable to care for your children, grandparents can take care of them. You can arrange for this through an Extended Family Program agreement. This BC government program allows your child to be in the care of someone they know instead of foster care. You can ask a social worker to place your child in the care of a family member, a friend they have a close relationship with, or someone who has a cultural or traditional connection to them.

To find more information about how the Extended Family Program can help your family, see the Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website.

AboriginalLegal Aid