Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC: Separation and matrimonial property rights on reserve

One of the new features of the Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website relaunch are five videos that tell personal stories based on true stories from community members. These videos focus on experiences of overcoming complicated legal issues with the help of Legal Aid BC.

Steph shares her story about how she was able to stay in her home on reserve because of matrimonial real property rights.

Laws about homes on reserves changed who can stay in the family home if you and your partner break up or your partner dies. These laws might apply to you if you live on a First Nation reserve, you or your partner is a member of a First Nation or a status Indian, you're married, or you've been living with your partner for at least a year.

Find more information about separation and matrimonial property rights on reserve in BC here.

Legal Aid