Hot Off the Press- Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe: Your Family's Rights
This easy-to-understand, illustrated booklet explains the child protection process for Aboriginal children and families, including:
· what you and your community can do if a social worker removes (takes) your child from your home,
· how delegated Aboriginal agencies work,
· how mediation can help you stay out of court,
· what's involved in the court process, and
· how the Extended Family Program can help you take care of your child.
Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe also includes a flow chart of the process for child protection cases that involve Aboriginal children, and a page to write the important details of your child protection case.
The booklet design is friendly and engaging. Soft colours and constellation images based on the theme of Aboriginal sky lore or sky stories are used throughout. A scenario, with dialogue and original drawings in comic-book style, illustrate each of the booklet's topics.
Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe replaces the Aboriginal Child Protection fact sheets. Please recycle the fact sheets.